Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

The cloud is making me lazy...

That is a sentence I never have imagined to come out of my mouth. But seriously...the cloud is making me lazy. Well...it's possible that I owned a few lazy character traits before the cloud came around, but the cloud is really not helping.

I woke up early this morning. 6:36 a.m. Unlike most mornings, though, I felt rested and ready to wake up. The first thing I wanted to do was to not get up, but lay in my warm bed and read my book that I purchased last week. It was Sunday and I had 3 hours before I had to get ready for church and the setup was perfect for some quiet reading time. And...it's one of those books I can't put down, and I love it when I find a book that captures my attention like that. I rubbed my eyes, stretched a little, and reached for my iPhone. I opened the book and started reading on the page that was bookmarked. After a paragraph or two, I realized that the text was familiar and I had already read it. And then I realized that yesterday when I read, I did so on my iPad. When I purchased the book, I downloaded it on my iPhone. And my iPad. And my iTouch. And OH MY WORD, I was going to have to get out of bed, go downstairs, and figure out where I stopped reading yesterday on my iPad. To add to my frustration, the page numbers are not the same on the iPad as they are on the iPhone. My quiet reading time...all the sudden...was not a relaxing venture, and I...was annoyed beyond measure!

But I did it. I got up and stomped downstairs and figured I should make some coffee and treat myself while I was down there for all the trouble I had to go through to find where I left off in my book. I mean...really...can't these people who create the smart phones be smart enough to make all my devices tell each other where my bookmark should be so that when I reach for one, I won't have to be put out and take 5 minutes out of my time to find the dang bookmark!

And then it hit me just how spoiled I am and we are in our society today. When my phone apps don't sync fast enough to the online version; or the internet icons just spin and spin and make me wait 15 seconds instead of 3 seconds to get to the dang website; or the device I just invested in last month is now a dinosaur and doesn't work with the latest software version...I am irritated to no end and taking my business elsewhere! I also thought about how it wasn't that long ago (just 20ish years or so) where my phone was hooked to my kitchen wall with a long plastic coiled cord and talking in privacy was not a thought that crossed my mind. And the book I was reading had a hard cover with colorful pictures on the front and was sitting on the kitchen table. The message I wanted to send my friend was written on notebook paper and folded neatly with a flap on the front and her name written in my handwriting and signed LYLAS! And I couldn't hear back from her till after 1st or 2nd period. And it was all good.

So I'm baffled by the fact that something that is supposed to make my life easier and more efficient and mobile is creating more work, more frustration, and more annoyance than any contraption I've ever owned. Yet, I find so often that I'm a slave to it!

Sometimes I wish we could just go back to the 80s, where we spent most of our time making our bangs stand tall and proud.

No comments: