Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

What it looks like...

Today I was moved...and humbled...to tears.

I've been captivated lately by people who exude genuine selflessness. I think because I've just been surrounded...for a while now...with this theme. At every turn. So, naturally, I feel like there's good reason for it, and that there must be something in there I need to learn and implement in this regard.

But anyway. Today.

I sat and listened to a friend tell me about how her life is getting ready to change. Dramatically. She has two children. One is grown and is heading down the aisle soon to meet his bride. The other one has one year of high school left and is sitting at the top of her class and excels in pretty much everything she attempts. My friend's life is good. She's happy and content, and has a seemingly easy and low maintenance life. Right now.

I also listened as she told me about these 4 other children whose life is not good. Not happy. And nowhere near low maintenance. And it never has been. In their young lives they have endured and persevered through more than my mind can even fathom; the things their innocent eyes have seen is more than my heart can bear. When I think of how I...as an adult...long, so often, to feel protected, loved, and cared for; for hope when I'm in a rough season; to be filled when I'm empty...it's almost too much to take to imagine what they feel...daily.

But because of compassion. And kindness. And gentleness. And mercy. My friend and her husband are doing the only thing there is to do. They are offering hope to these kids and starting their parenting days...all over. They are filling out endless paperwork and preparing in countless ways for a multitude of children to join their family. They are holding out their arms and offering a new normal to kids who have been stripped of innocence.

In my Bible study tonight, the author asked, "what does being full of mercy look like for you?" She asked it of herself in her own quiet time, and then asked it of those who are doing the study. And I had to think about it in my own life. Humbly, I have to confess...so often there's so much of me, my and mine that I miss opportunities left and right to show mercy. Or I recognize opportunities, but put them off for later. A lot of the time...later never comes. Sigh.

Mercy.

I want to know it. Do it. Serve it up on silver platters.

My friend knows what mercy looks like in her world.

No comments: