Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Beware of Beets

It is January 17th which could only mean one thing. Well...two. Two things. Ok. Three. American Idol starts this week and since that is one of the reality shows that I indulge in, that makes it blog worthy! And...the Super Bowl. That will be coming soon and the only reason I'm excited about that is because of the buffalo dip, chips, and other football food I get to stuff into my face. And after this last weekend I know I will enjoy it to the fullest.

You see I attended a fitness retreat in Austin with my lovely sister, Patti, over the weekend. And I am not even joking when I tell you that I worked out more in the 28 hours I was there than I did in the last full quarter of 2011. Oh my heavens, y'all...Mamaw's hurtin a little bit! And not only did the amazing trainer work our hineys off, she made us cook and stir and chop and mix and poach and bake and steam our own food. And there was no meat. Or potatoes. We had kale, fennel, beets, butternut squash, tzatziki, and some other stuff I can't spell or pronounce. And when I saw the menu I immediately wanted buffalo dip and fritos with a side of pizza and a diet Dr. Pepper for good measure. Much to my surprise, though, everything we consumed was delicious...and I got to bring the recipes home and now my darling husband gets to enjoy kale, fennel, beets, butternut squash, and tzatziki right along with me. And here is the first recipe I tried for dinner last night.

Roasted Beet Salad
with Walnuts, Goat Cheese,
& Honey-Dijon Vinaigrette

Beets
1 bunch medium beets (3ish)
1 tbsp evoo
Preheat oven to 425. Wipe/scrub beets clean and trim stems down to one-inch. (Leave tails on). Place beets on foil and drizzle with olive oil; wrap foil around them to form a packet. Place on rack in middle of oven until tender. (About 1 hour). Done when knife enters easily. Let cool. Peel skin off beets and chop into 1/2 dice.

Salad
Mixed greens
Goat cheese
1/2 c walnuts, coarsely chopped

Vinaigrette
2 tbsp honey or agave nectar
1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp minced shallots
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 tbsp evoo

In a small bowl, whisk together honey (or agave), Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, shallots, salt & pepper. Add oil in steady stream.

Mix all together and stand in awe of your delicious and healthy salad. But beware of the beets.

Brad loved it y'all! But we also had a garlic herb rotisserie chicken so I didn't make him eat just salad.

Oh and the third thing...I'm going to Hawaii sometime in the near future!

Enjoy your January 17th.

No comments: