Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Please pass the joy

In less than 12 hours the first of the Thanksgiving guests will arrive. I have visited the grocery store more than enough in the last two days but realized a few minutes ago that I still forgot the cherry pie filling! Hope there's some left.

So I'm mostly prepared for guests with enough food to fill their bellies while they're here, but I have to wonder if I'm prepared to fill their time here with grace. I fear I'm not. I fear I'm getting lost in the Martha mentality...rushing to fill my fridge and decorate my house and clean the floors and wash the sheets. And while those things are done and my house is ready to receive our guests, my soul feels barren and my 'joy' tank is running on fumes. And this...precisely this...is the exact opposite of what this holiday is all about. And in my search tonight of how I need to fill my tank, I'm humbled by the fact that I can't. I cannot serve myself up a dish of peace, love, and joy no matter how hard I try or put my mind to it. My resolve to just be dadgum peaceful is not just gonna happen. But...(there's always a but) what I do have is access to it. I have been graced with everything I need to have an overflow and all I have it do is put it on.

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
(Col 3:12)

Because I am chosen and dearly loved! I dont have to do these things in order to be chosen and dearly loved...I already am. And so are you. All I have to do is take off my old rags and put on my new duds. They are there folded nice and neatly and ready to be worn. I pray I can. I pray that I'm so clothed with those virtues this week that my guests go home filled...not by turkey and gravy and buttery rolls, but by the fact they have been in the presence of Grace.

And my prayer is the same for you. That you are able to don the beauty of patience when Grandpa tells the same jokes he told last year. And the beauty of compassion when cousin invites you to her pity party. And the beauty of gentleness when Aunt's green bean casserole is missing an important ingredient. And certainly the beauty of kindness when sister-in-law serves you some tofurkey! I pray you would be filled with the wonder of Grace and that those who cross your path are profoundly affected because of it.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: