Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

20 Years

So I remember what I was going to write about the other night when I started a post by saying how truly baffled I am at how quickly time passes by and then fell asleep in the middle of it. Mamaw needs her sleep! Anyway...I am baffled by how quickly time passes and last weekend I spent time with people I haven't seen in 20 years. 20 years! And when I graduated from college 20 years ago I had no idea how quickly it would go. Regardless, my 20-year college reunion was upon me and I was excited to see sweet friends who knew and loved me unconditionally during my most awkward stage of life. Most people's awkward stage is in middle school but I was always a little behind and mine graced me in college.

So my sister who was celebrating her 25-year reunion picked me up on her way up from Austin, and we went together. And we had 3 hours in a car by ourselves uninterrupted for the first time in at least 15 years and we did not allow any lull in the conversation!

After we arrived in OKC we went to the campus for the men's homecoming basketball game. They have built a new center for the basketball and put an area above the basketball court for reunioners which is where we all stood during the game to catch up. Afterward we went to our class parties - first to mine and then to Patti's. My cheeks hurt after smiling and laughing so much. But it was fun and good to see these people.

Then Saturday after our reunion luncheons we went back to my folks' house and my nephew came over and brought his cutie wife and baby and we got to spend some time with them. My nephew loves to be with us because we giggle at everything he says and the more we giggle the more he performs for us. And speaking of how time goes by so quickly, he is a father! I remember going with his mother to drop him off at his first day of Kindergarten. I had a huge lump in my throat that day and now he's a daddy! And the same emotions that caused the lump in my throat that day are still stirred by him and all my nephews and nieces, who are also grown, and I still get the same lump when they reach milestones today.





Time does go fast. I want to spend it soaking up the blessing of waking up every day, and I want to spend it loving others well. I haven't always. But it's not to late to start.

No comments: