Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

I need a ukelele...

At 5:30 this morning, my eyes made an unfortunate decision and opened wide without my prior approval. I laid still and quiet for 30 more minutes to try to trick my eyes into going back to sleep but they would not have it, so I threw the covers back and placed my feet firmly on the floor and started my day.

I came downstairs and parked myself on the couch and turned on the t.v. Delighted to see that I Love Lucy was on, I quickly selected that channel. I have always had a particular fondness for Lucy Ricardo and if I had had the chance to know her and she were real, I'm sure we would have been friends.

Anyway...the episode that was airing was one I had never seen. And I was surprised by that because prior to this morning I thought I had seen every single episode of I Love Lucy since I have watched it for at least 35 years. Alas...I had not.

In this particular episode, Little Ricky was supposed to play his drums in front of an audience when out of nowhere he was overcome with stage fright. He thereby declared that he was done playing the drums. Well...that of course concerned Ricky and Lucy because they knew that giving in to this fear could affect him negatively in the long run and could bleed into other more detrimental fears. And we all know that when Lucy encounters a conflict she thinks of a plan! And she did not disappoint in this episode. She went to great lengths to help him to overcome his fear. She tried to reason with him and bribe him and eventually Big Ricky used a wonderful analogy with him and talked him into playing in his night club. And of course in any good sitcom, there has to be some kind of wrench thrown in the plan especially when there's still 10 minutes left. And this happened when the manager of the night club came in and freaked out in front of little Ricky because the ukulele player bailed on them. And little Ricky declared once more, "I'm not playing the drums without the ukulele player!". Lucy promised him that there would be a ukulele player when he got on stage. And it just so happened that after he walked out the door, she turned around and there was a ukelele sitting right there along with a costume for the band! Her long eyelashes batted and the wheels began to turn. And when little Ricky took the stage there sat Lucy dressed up in a little boy's band uniform playing the ukulele right next to him. And...he played the drums like he never had...thus putting that dadgum fear to rest.

I couldn't help but think of our heavenly Father in this little story who does the same thing for us that Lucy did and that any good parent would do for their child...whatever it takes to help us overcome our fear. And to start, He sent His Son to die on a cross for us so that we can live on this earth free from fear and anything else that keeps us in bondage. He promises us blessing when we trust and believe that His precepts are in place for our good, not to harm us or take away our fun. I believe with my whole heart, soul, and mind that He desires for us to take Him at His word so that when we do, we can turn around and just so happens that we have what we need at our fingertips. He can then sit right next to us and watch us play the drums like we never have!

No comments: