Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Fit Friday: Stretching


It's been a while since I posted a Fit Friday tip.  What can I say?  My full time job gets the best of me sometimes.  Which is exactly why today's tip is SO important and beneficial not only to our physical health, but our mental health as well.  

Stretching.

I've not only been researching the benefits of stretching, but I've also been implementing more of it on a weekly basis.  And the one thing I can tell you is that it is changing the level of my cardio and strength workouts.  When I can fit in a 15-minute stretch or yoga sequence before a long run, it provides me with a robust (well…more robust than normal) mental energy…and we all know that mental energy is a significant prerequisite to physical energy.  A sweet friend of mine sent me a quote the other day that says "Your mind will quit 100 times before your body ever does."  And I know that to be true.

Some benefits of stretching include:
1.  Increased flexibility
2.  Improved circulation
3.  Improved balance and coordination
4.  Improved cardio health/athletic performance
5.  Increased range of motion
6.  Reduced muscle tension
7.  Alleviates lower back pain/injury
8.  Reduces stress

So…just do it.  Make sure you are doing some pre and post workout stretching.  And when you can, fit in a yoga class or sequence.  Your body will thank you.

Here are some links to some great stretching exercises.

Have a super weekend!

No comments: