Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

27 Degrees

Last weekend was a big weekend. A big one indeed. And I think...I think...I have finally caught up on my sleep. I think.

About a month and a half ago I found out that AFAA (Aerobics & Fitness Association of America) was having a weekend in February for different certifications for a fraction of the cost they normally charge for going through Workshop. When I found that out, I was immediately intrigued and anxious to sign up. Many of you who know me know that fitness is where my passion is...not because I've got that down personally...but because I used to be much much larger than I am now and I KNOW the life-changing impact of exercise. And not just physically. There's a deep impact emotionally and mentally. I get a charge from encouraging those who walk the road I traveled for many years.

So...

Through a series of circumstances that moved several things around on my calendar, that weekend came open for me, and I signed up. And the best part was that two friends had also signed up, and I would get to tackle this workshop with people I knew. And y'all...facing mountains with friends is so much better than facing them by yourself. Any mountain.

We were tested through 4 different exams. Three of them were practical exams where we had to show our stuff and then one was a written exam with 100 multiple choice questions. The three practicals were no big deal. I taught Jazzercise for fourteen years, so I felt comfortable there. But...UGH on the written test! Taking tests is not one of my strengths, and I get all nervous and shaky and my stomach turns flips. And to add to those fun times, I was stopped up and I couldn't breathe. AND...I didn't have any kleenex. AND...the instructor did not have any kleenex. AND...I couldn't leave the testing area. Well...that I don't know for sure because I did not ask...but I never did get any kleenex and I wiped my nose all over my sleeves...for an hour! I had some serious laundry to do when I got home.

I'll find out in 8 long weeks whether I passed.

After our long day of testing, we drove down to Fair Park, picked up our packets for the Hot Chocolate 15k that we would run in Saturday morning, and headed to the hotel where we would meet two more friends who would also be running. After we relaxed a bit, we took our party to Spaghetti Warehouse downtown for dinner. Pasta's good for the runners!



Saturday morning, we woke up to 27 degree weather and had totally talked ourselves out of the 15k. I mean...how often is it 27 degrees in Dallas?! And nobody wants hypothermia, so our minds were set on just running the 5k and then getting back to the hotel for a big breakfast. But...after we got there and the adrenaline started pumping, we talked ourselves back into running the 15k. And off we went. And we finished in 1:38...a little over a 10-minute mile.

Exhausting...but so so good for the soul!

No comments: