Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

My Dad...



I remember as I was growing up walking in the kitchen in the mornings to see my Dad sitting at the table reading his bible and drinking coffee. "Well, good morning, Baby Doll" was always his greeting.  I don't remember what my reply always was, but I'm fairly certain it was more like a growl than anything cheerful like his greeting.  Mornings have never been my time to shine, but that never once affected his happy nature and decision to love me anyway. 

I remember watching my Dad as he dedicated his life to the Lord by serving as a pastor.  I've heard many who were under his shepherding thank him on countless occasions for leading them well.  And I've witnessed a few who weren't as gracious.  That career is by no means an easy one, but that never once affected his happy nature and decision to love anyway. 

I remember watching as he faced a cancer diagnosis that was scary and uncertain.  As all the women in his family fell apart, it never affected his happy nature and decision to trust God anyway. 

I've watched as he has embraced his kids when faced with some really tough stuff.  I'm sure that the dad in him wanted to tear into those who messed with them.  But he didn't. Those situations never once affected his happy nature and his decision to instruct us to love anyway. 

And I've watched him in his retirement. A time when a lot of people take off and do the things they never got to do while they were in the midst of their career and raising a family.  But my dad has never once been affected by what he is entitled to and has every right to do.  He is busy in his retirement helping others to paint their house, install sprinkler systems, re-stain old furniture, change light bulbs, or whatever else others might need.  But most importantly gifting the greater OKC area with his peanut brittle crack!  He is busy...still...serving, giving, and loving others anyway.  

I was privileged as recent as last week to hear his morning greeting because he and my mom got to stay at my house for the weekend.  And as I've thought about him this last week, I've wondered how this gentle giant has been able to remain unaffected by the hardships of life and make the decision to love anyway. 

And then I see vividly in my mind the picture I saw every morning during my growing up years...him sitting at the table reading his bible. 

Makes perfect sense.

Happy Father's Day to my wonderful Dad. I love you!!

No comments: