Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tubayta tubotta...

I have a confession. It's October 2nd and I have been getting the holidays on with Christmas music! It's true, and I am not ashamed! Now there are those people out there, and you may be one of them, who balk at the atrocity that stores bring out the Christmas merchandise so early...while its still warm enough for a suntan...and what have you. But I am not one of them. Because when I hear Christmas music I feel cozy and warm and wonderful memories fill my mind and visions of sugarplums dance in my head...even though I have no idea what a sugarplum is. And to the core I feel a sense of joy that is indescribable. And who doesn't need a little indescribable joy in the midst of the rat race that surrounds us?

But that's not the reason I'm writing. I just really needed to get that off my chest. Don't judge.

The real reason I'm writing is to talk about a workout method that has not been around for too terribly long, and one that I am sold on. It is called the Tabata method and it is the bomb! I've used the method a few times on my own and thought I would try it out in my class today. And durn...I'm already sore! Now I know that is not a good way to make you want to run out and try it, but trust me...it is a good way to work out if you are interested in actually transforming your body instead of just talking about it.

Some highlights of this style...

• You can do it by yourself
• You don't need any equipment
• It's easy to remember
• It is perfect way to workout if you are crunched for time
• It engages both the aerobic and anaerobic system so that you continue to burn calories after your workout is over

An example of a 20 minute Tabata workout might look like this:

Exercise 1 - 4 Minutes
Body weight squats (8X)

Exercise 2 - 4 Minutes
Tricep Dips (8X)

Exercise 3 - 4 Minutes
Mountain Climbers (8X)

Exercise 4 - 4 Minutes
Dead Lifts (8X)

Exercise 5 - 4 Minutes
Bicycle crunch (8X)

And...ALWAYS warm up and ALWAYS cool down and stretch!

And then turn on a little Christmas music and find a little joy!



No comments: