Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Oh my goodness...it's been sooo long since I posted on my blog. I've missed it...terribly. The English teacher in me is reprimanding myself for not writing because as I told my 8th graders so many times...'writing is therapeutic'. And for Pete's sake (who, by the way is Pete?), I've definitely been in need of some kind of therapy.

Anyway...on with the post. I was reading Beth Moore's blog tonight and her daughter posted about her first car. Then she told her readers to post a comment about a memory they have about their first car. I have many memories, but one in particular, flooded my mind tonight...and I laughed...out loud...here...all by myself.

My first car was a '67 Mustang that was a standard. I was a little slow learning how to let off the clutch and push the gas simultaneously and I came to a stoplight...at the top of a hill...and we sat through 4 red lights there. Every time I would let the clutch out too fast not giving it enough gas. We would putter a few inches and then roll backward. On the fifth light, I was determined to move that car. When it turned green, I pushed the gas pedal all the way to the floor and moved a little slower on the clutch. The engine was revved up and as we moved forward, my tires squealed leaving tire marks on the pavement and black smoke on the frustrated drivers behind me. My patient big sister, who sat in the passenger's seat, laughed all the way to the next stoplight.

Now...you share a memory for your first car!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My first car was a Dodge Colt - 2 door. It was orange and black and dubbed affectionately, “The Pumpkin".

It did not have power steering or electric windows and overall it was a piece of cr@p! But boy, did I love that car! I kept it gassed, oiled, polished and spit! It only lasted a year or so at collage because my sister rolled it! She was ok…but to this day, I still do not know how she did it…

We ended up getting it fixed but it was never the same. If you are familiar with San Marcos, there is this one HUGE hill to climb up…Even If I put the metal to the peddle going down the hill…by the time the car made it to the top, it was barely chugging along at 10 miles an hour. (Think about a rollercoaster…you know when it is going up a steep incline and it chugs slowing up….that is exactly what the Pumpkin did.) I was always expecting for that car to roll back down the hill before I made it to the top!

The Pumpkin never made it back home - we sold it at a used car lot in San Marcus for $100.00 and was thrilled just to get that!

de said...

What a great memory. It's fun to go back and think of those times, huh?

The Wrapper Gal said...

I am a little slow reading blogs! But my first car was a 72 Pontiac AKA MABLE. She was green and BIG! I got her my second semester in college. I was driving home one weekend with a HUGE pile of dirty clothes in a basket in the back seat, no make up on and came to a little town called Fairview Oklahoma. Somehow I missed the memo they were having a parade, and was at the tail end of it driving down main street there. Nowhere to turn once I was on the parade path. I will never forget driving through and people looking at me strangely, and then coming up to the the big trailer with the announcer saying WEll I guess we have a guest in our Parade! LOL I just tried to look straight ahead and prayed I had no underwear on the top of that dirty clothes pile in the back seat!